Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Real Deal


picture from Mount Saint Vincent University website

ALRIGHT, this is just getting crazy. I don't know how many times throughout my time at UMass have I stated, "I REALLY wish I was a Nursing major." I mean, let's face it, just because I said I wanted to be a nursing major doesn't mean I could have done it, but I've wished it. My mother is a nurse who always told me I should get into nursing although it was never in my field of interest. Over the past few years there have been numerous reports informing the us of the rising average age of nurses nationwide and that graduates of nursing programs will always be guaranteed a job. Never did I see this coming. This recession has certainly hit hospitals hard and it looks like Boston hospitals are claiming that they are at full staff capacity.

Today's Boston Globe story, "Staffs full, nurses struggle for work" is utterly nauseating. I have asked my mother recently why hospitals are having hiring freezes and she said that many people are not going through the pricey procedures that they typically would. The Boston Globe today makes a reference similar to what my mother has said. I have always thought that nurses would be fine and employed, but boy was I wrong. The article does reassure that things will get better, but I just was so oblivious to the fact that the medical world also gets hit by a recession. Sad because it leaves many unemployed and unhealthy.

No comments: