Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ivy League aspirations to State School reality



I created this post a few days ago after reading a Boston Globe article that infuriated me entitled, "Downturn paring college dreams" and a CNN special about a student trading his Ivy League dream to an affordable state school. For some reason, according to the Globe and their interviews, students think that they are "lowering their standards" by applying to the University of Massachusetts, Amherst due to the financial crisis and their parent's pockets minimizing. Today, as I searched Boston.com to include the article from Tuesday I came across another disgruntled reader like myself who wrote an opinion piece for today's paper defending UMass Amherst.


UMass Amherst does not receive the credit that it deserves for being the outstanding institution that it is. I have always promoted this
institution for being a great educational experience and derailed the "Zoomass Amherst" image that many adults still believe stands true. UMass will grant you an invaluable experience and a receipt that doesn't look like Northeastern's, Brandis, or Stonehill College. Newsflash, high school seniors that once thought of UMass as their safetly school, may not be accepted into this fine university.

Cheered for UMass my first three years

No comments: